Last April 23, I let out a loud WHOOP!!! 🙌 throughout the office. I had just booked my two vaccination appointments, and I was absolutely ecstatic.
The reason for my excitement was not lost on anyone who had talked with me within the last 2 weeks. The topic of vaccinations had managed to make its way into everyday conversation with me. It was an absolute fixture in my mind. It was all I could talk about. And when they announced that I would be eligible to get a vaccine, you could be damn sure I would be at the front of the line.
And now here we are. It has been 2 weeks since my second dose. I am now officially fully vaccinated.
Unfortunately, there is still a long road ahead towards Hong Kong achieving herd immunity. Vaccine hesitancy, for a variety of reasons, has become a major stalling factor in the vaccination effort. And so it is my hope that by sharing my experience in getting the vaccine and why I chose to get it, I can help encourage you to do the same.
What was it like getting the vaccine?
In Hong Kong, it is incredibly easy to schedule a vaccination. It takes less than 5 minutes to do it. If you are eligible for vaccination, all you need to do is:
- Go to the Hong Kong government’s vaccination portal.
- Choose the vaccine that you want.
- Input your personal particulars (i.e. Hong Kong ID (HKID), Date of Birth, etc.).
- Select the dates for your first and second dose.
- Select the vaccination center.
After all of that, the website should confirm your appointment and you will receive an SMS confirming the booking.
On your appointment date, once you arrive at the vaccination center:
- The attendants will confirm your vaccination appointment with your HKID and the SMS you received.